Tag Archives: wordpress

Making your WordPress blog more iPad friendly

I just stumbled across OnSwipe today which is a free WordPress plugin designed to make your blog more iPad friendly.

“Onswipe makes it insanely easy to publish on touch enabled devices. When your readers navigate from an iPad to your site they are given a beautiful app like experience. “

It’s got some slick features like loading screens, built-in sharing with Facebook and Twitter and even supports content layout changes based on orientation of the iPad (using accelerometer detection).

It was a totally painless install and only took a few clicks from the WordPress dashboard.  I checked my blog out on my wife’s iPad immedaitely after installing it and I was totally blown away!

Absolutely zero configuration and immediate upgrade in functionality and design for visitors with iPads.  Who can argue with that?

How to add Facebook’s Open Graph social plugins to your site

I just finished my initial integration with Facebook’s Open Graph Social plugins for both this blog based on wordpress and my photo blog which is based on PixelPost.

Facebook’s documentation is definitely in it’s early stages because it’s very sparse in some areas, and lacks good cross-links to make the content easy to dig through.  Most of their documentation doesn’t even include a link to their Application center which is required to even get some of the social plugins to work since they require you to have an AppID.

Here’s a quick guide on what I did to get this running for the Like and Comments plugins for my photo blog. For wordpress, it was far easier since there are plugins for it.  I ended up using the FBLike plugin.

Continue reading “How to add Facebook’s Open Graph social plugins to your site” »

Fix for WordPress “Allowed memory size exhausted” fatal error

While trying to upgrade a few WordPress plugins, I got this error message:image

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes)  

After struggling with trying to fix this, I found a really easy solution – increase the WordPress memory allocation size from 32 MB to 64 MB.  To do this, edit your wp-settings.php and change line 13 from:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '32M');

to

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

Simple, easy and delicious. No more memory issues for any plugin upgrades!

Experimenting with new WordPress template

After a rocking the Yaletown wordpress theme for a few years, I’ve decided to try out something different.  I wanted something a little simpler looking, and since I’m blogging mostly about photos these days, I wanted it to be based on a white background.

After digging around for awhile, I stumbled upon the Celeny theme which jumped out at me because it was 2 columns, ad-sense ready and supported widgets.

After installing it and mucking around with customizing it for my liking, I’ve got it in a state I’m reasonably happy with. The theme author didn’t do that great of a job allowing you to customize it through the WordPress UI. Instead, I had to dive into the PHP code and make changes directly which I always hate doing since future upgrades of the theme will cause me to lose all my customizations.

There are some layout problems on the sidebar currently that I still need to fix, but I figure before I invest time in doing that, I’ll rock the theme for a few weeks to see how my loyal blog readers like it, and also how adsense performs with the theme.  I’ve reduced the overall ads on the site to a single 250×250 adblock in the sidebar, so it will be interesting to see if fewer ads that are less intrusive will outperform my previous attempt.

Let me know what you think!

Strange characters after WordPress upgrade

After I upgraded my last wordpress installation on my blog and on Green Is Sexy, strange characters were appearing in our content throughout the site. There seemed to have been encoding problems with apostrophes (‘), quotation marks (“) and hyphens (-). They’d be displayed as question marks or ’.

Turns out that the fix is really simple. By default, the WordPress config files now set your character encoding to UTF-8. The solution is to open up wp-config.php file and located these lines:

define(’DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);
define(’DB_COLLATE’, ”);

and either remove the “utf8” string so the first line becomes:

define(’DB_CHARSET’,'');
define(’DB_COLLATE’, ”);

or you can just comment the lines out completely by prefixing each line with “//”:

//define(’DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);
//define(’DB_COLLATE’, ”);

Problem solved!