Instead of giving Apple money for ringtones on your iPhone for music you already own, here’s a simple set of steps for getting free iPhone ringtones from your MP3s:
- Select your favorite MP3 from your music collection.
- Open it in Audacity and trim it down to at most 30 seconds.
- Import the edited song into iTunes and choose to convert it to M4A format. The file will then be something like yourRingtone.M4A in file explorer.
- Copy the file and rename the extension to M4R in file explorer (e.g. yourRingtone.M4R).
- Drag and drop the newly renamed file back into iTunes.
- Delete the old M4A song to avoid the duplicate.
It’s surely not as simple as a one-click purchase through iTunes, but hey, save yourself a few bucks 🙂